Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2015

How to pronounce "Nevada"

I know it's a Spanish word, but it's not pronounced "Nev-AH-dah". Locally, it's pronounced, "Nev-ADD-ah" No offense, really, but ask yourself this question: Is Nebraska pronounced "Neb-RAH-ska"? No? Then remember to pronounce Nevada similarly as Nebraska. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I'm just giving you advice in case you are (supposedly) going to Las Vegas for the weekend. I love my Scrambled States DVD (The Scrambled States of America and more stories by Laurie Keller), but I was disappointed on how they pronounced "Nevada". They said "Nev-AH-dah and Mississippi fell in love", whereas they should have said "Nev-ADD-ah and Mississippi fell in love". I'm not really from Nevada, but I'm just saying. Well, at least lots of people said it right on Youtube. They said "Nev-ADD-ah and Mississippi fell in love!" Also, in the CD read-along, there was one - just one- line where they said Nevada correctly. It was when North Carolina said to South Carolina, "Nevada and Mississippi fell in love!". I'm glad there are people who say it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment